A fairly uncommon reproduction of the Second World War era German Sumpftarn ("swamp pattern") was utilized by the West German Federal Border Guard ("Bundesgrenzschutz") in the Cold War. The original pattern was utilized by Nazi Germany as being significantly darker but featured the same soft shapes and distinctive raindrop design. It was fielded towards the end of the war in 1944, and proved to be an effective pattern, that the West Germans were quick to adopt at the onset of the Cold War. The pattern would continue to see West German service in three different variations, with differing levels of visibility for the distinctive "raindrop". The final variation of this pattern featured the most aggressive "raindrop" elements, and remained in service until the pattern was removed from service around 1976. For a stop-gap, postwar pattern, the pattern works remarkably well in most temperate environments. On top of being extremely effective in most environments, the pattern evokes both the camouflage engineering prowess of the former Third Reich and a symbolic rebirth of a new democratic Germany, standing guard against the Iron Curtain.
As the West German Border Guard service attempted to give off a less militaristic appearance in the latter half of the Cold War, original BGS Sumpftarn garments were completely discarded by the 1980s, with many sold off or otherwise destroyed. Original examples have been hard to find over the last few decades, given their extreme collectability. Fireforce Ventures is proud to be the exclusive stockist of this long-dormant pattern in our outstanding tactical cuts. We have faithfully replicated the final 3rd Pattern West German Sumpftarn based on several mint-condition original examples produced from the 1950s until 1976.
- Shirt designed off feedback from African based anti-poaching game rangers
- 50/50 polyester cotton ripstop construction in 3rd Pattern West German BGS Sumpftarn
- 2x large velcro arm pockets measuring 8x7” overall
- Double magazine slots inside arm pockets
- Pen pocket slot on left arm pocket
- 2x hand pockets at seam
- British UBAC style buttoned cuff
- Small: 36-38 inch chest, 5'6-5'8 height
- Medium: 38-40 inch chest, 5'9-5'11 height
- Large: 40-42 inch chest, 6'0-6'2 height
- XL: 42-44 inch chest, 6'1-6'3 height
- 2XL: 44-48 inch chest, 6'4+ height
- 3XL: 46-50 inch chest, 6'4+ height
All prices are in United States Dollars (USD). We ship internationally!