Country of Origin: South Africa
A Fireforce Ventures - Faithful reproductions of the South African Defence Force issue "Slangvel" Paratrooper Smocks.
"Slangvel" is the Afrikaans word for "snakeskin", referring to the distinctive appearance of these smocks as issued to South African paratroopers in the 1980-90s. Designed with direct inspiration from khaki Denison smock variations as issued to South African paratroopers in the 1960s, the Slangvels were developed as a natural evolution. Featuring all the hallmarks of it's British and Rhodesian Denison cousins, the Slangvel features the unique inclusion of lighter brown ripstop reinforcement material at failure points that had been identified over decades of paratrooper use.
These Slangvel para smocks were famously present at the massive Battle of Cuito Cuanavale between 1987-1988, which was the largest paratrooper operation in African military history with South African and UNITA forces, facing off against communist Cuban conventional forces and African communist groups. This incredible "space age" piece of kit that continues to be utilized in a Soldier 2000 variation by the modern SANDF. Original Border War period Slangvels are getting very hard to find, making this an awesome stand in for all African Bush War enthusiasts!
- 100% cotton Nutria Brown construction - A near-identical pantone colour to the original SADF issue "Nutria Brown"
- Ripstop reinforcement at shoulders, elbows, pockets, and paratrooper flap
- YKK main zipper - as per original examples
- Iconic Denison style paratrooper flap w/ snap buttons
- Snap button closure pockets - two slanted pockets, and two large hip pockets
- Early pattern (pre-1994) shoulder pen pocket variant - 3 pen slots, one medium auxillary slot
- Shoulder epaulettes
- Hip and hem cinching buttons
All prices are in Canadian Dollars (CAD). We ship internationally!