Country of Origin:
Starting in the 1950s, the British and Commonwealth military logisticians began to simplify cotton garments intended for physical training purposes for the largest influx of national servicemen Among them were the troops Southern Rhodesia who at the time were pulling their weight in the Malayan Emergency. Physical training dedicated shorts with a simplified elasticated waist band began to make their appearance across the British Empire, replacing older designs with excessively complex buttoned flys or uncomfortably long inseams. By the 1960s, a much welcomed variation of this simplified "short-short" was a staple in Southern Rhodesia. At times, the short even began to appear in field use during the Congo Crisis, justifiable due to Africa's extreme heat. During the Rhodesian Bush War, various versions of a simplified "PT shorts" were utilized extensively during both external and internal operations. The iconic look of a camo clad rifleman with these olive short-shorts cemented a mythical image of the Rhodesian soldier. While they were ultimately banned for operation use among front line units by the late 1970s, they continued to see use in garrison, particularly by the legendary Selous Scouts.
We have faithfully replicated the Rhodesian Army issued PT shorts, with the inclusion of Rhodesian Brushstroke fabric patches and pockets, as seen among examples worn by Selous Scout NCOs. The exact reasons for the placement of these fabric patches are not exactly known, but several serve as additional pockets for magazines and field dressings, similar to the standard issue field trouser of the era. In many ways, it was another example of Rhodesian ingenuity, taking substandard equipment and modifying it to meet the stringent needs of the Rhodesian Bush War.
Extremely functional, these "Selous" modified shorts are an incredible aesthetic short-short, perfect for reenactments, workouts, or a Orangutan braai at Lake Kariba!
- 100% cotton construction
- Elasticated waistband for various sizes - no drawstrings as per the originals
- Exact placements of Rhodesian Brushstroke fabric, based directly off of David Whitehead Textile bolts and original "Selous" modded shorts
- A very "Rhodesian" meme label
- Maximum LCF for those "in-the-know"
- Small: 27-30" waist, 4" inseam, 13.5" full length
- Medium: 29-32" waist, 4" inseam, 14" full length
- Large: 31-34" waist, 4" inseam, 14.5" full length
- Extra Large: 33-36" waist, 4" inseam, 15" full length
- Extra Extra Large: 35-38" waist, 4" inseam, 15.5" full length
- 3XL: 37"-40" waist, 4" inseam, 16" full length
- 4XL: 39"-42" waist, 4" inseam, 16.5" full length
- Note: These are serious short-short inseams, with limited stretch as per originals. If in doubt, go a size up!
All prices are in United States Dollars (USD). We ship internationally!